Henry Maxwell Monument
Henry Maxwell is a
Brooklyn-based philanthropist, banker and
supporter of public education. Maxwell
is known for making a lot of money as a
partner in the Maxwell and Graves Bank, but
he is better known for giving it away to
local charities. Maxwell played a
significant role in building the Memorial
Industrial School No.2, which he dedicated
to his wife and mother.
When he passed away, his friends and
relatives commissioned artist Saint-Gaudens
to make a
bronze relief portrait of Henry Maxwell.
Albert Jaegers assisted Saint-Gaudens in
creating the relief
and affixing it to a 20 ton pink granite
boulder. The monument was unveiled on
December 26, 1903
by Howard Whitney, Maxwell’s niece.
The memorial’s original location was the
intersection of Flatbush Avenue and Eastern
beside Mr. Prospect Reservoir. That piece
of property was the former Sunset Park, and
where the Brooklyn Central Library
stands. When the library was constructed in
1912, Maxwell’s monument was loved to its
present site at Plaza Street East and St.
However, the relief on the boulder is only a
replica. The original is displayed at the
of the Brooklyn Museum of Art. Another
replica may be found in Cornish, New
Hampshire at the
Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site.