Buffalo Central Terminal
The Buffalo Central
The Buffalo Central Terminal
in New York used to be a major railroad
station from 1929 to 1979.
It is located over two miles
from downtown Buffalo in the
Filmore/Broadway district, which is also
known as Polonia. The terminal complex,
designed to accommodate 3,200 passengers
every hour, is made up of several structures
including the main concourse, the 15-storey
office tower, the Amtrak-owned train
concourse, the baggage building, the mail
building, the railway express building and
the power station.
The main concourse measures 225 feet in
length, and is 66 feet in width. The
concourse used to have
a restaurant, a Western
Union telegraph office, a soda fountain, and
all the standard station necessities.
Running directly below the concourse is
Curtiss Street which was closed during the
late 90s because of its collapsing ceiling.
The baggage and mail buildings are located
along Curtiss Street.
Other buildings that were part of the
complex included a Pullman Company service
building, a coach shop, an ice house, and
two connected towers.
The Buffalo Central Terminal was designed
for the New York Central Railroad by
architects Fellheimer and Wagner. It was
abandoned for many years, but it is now
owned by the Buffalo Central Terminal
Restoration Corporation which is a
non-profit preservation group.