The 11-acre Grand Army Plaza is
located at the intersection of 5th Avenue
and 59th Street in Brooklyn, New York. It is
across Manhattan’s Plaza Hotel. The oval
plaza, designed in concentric rings of
streets, is the work of Calvert Vaux and
Frederick Law Olmsted in 1867. The outer
ring is known as Plaza Street, and the inner
street is named Flatbush Avenue.
From the Grand Army Plaza was
originally known as the Prospect Park Plaza.
It was renamed in 1926. The park’s most
prominent elements is the classical-style
Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Memorial Arch, which
is Brooklyn’s version of Paris’ Arc de
Triomphe. Its cornerstone was laid by
William Tecumseh Sherman on October 10,
1899. After three years of construction, it
was unveiled by President Grover Cleveland.
To the north of the arch is Bailey Fountain, which is a popular
background for wedding pictures. It is the
fourth fountain to stand on its current
site, and is the longest-lasting fountain in
the plaza. It is over seventy years old. The
Bailey Fountain was designed and built by
architect Edgerton Swarthout and sculptor
Eugene Francis Savage in 1932. It was built
as a memorial to Brooklyn-based
philanthropist and financier Frank Bailey’s
wife Mary Louise.