Albright Knox Art Gallery
albright knox art gallery
albright knox art gallery
1600x1200
 
albright knox art gallery
1024x768
 
200x150
 

 

The Albright Knox Art Gallery

 

The Albright Knox Art Gallery, one of the oldest institutions of fine arts in America, can be found in Buffalo, New York. Directly across it is the Buffalo State College. The Buffalo Fine Arts Academy,

which was founded in 1862, is the Albright-Knox Art Gallery’s parent organization.


Local industrialist, philanthropist and entrepreneur John J. Albright started the construction of the

art gallery for the Buffalo Fine Arts Academy in 1890. He commissioned notable architect Edward Brodhead Green to make the design for the building. It was supposed to be used for the

Pan-American Exposition as the Fine Arts Pavilion in 1901. However, due to delays in construction,

the building not opened until 1905.


A new addition was made to the Albright Knox Art Gallery in 1962 when Seymour H. Knox, Jr. and several other donors donated some funds. It was during this period that the building was renamed to its current title. The additions to the structure were designed by Gordon Bunshaft who is part of architectural firm Skidmore, Owings and Merril. The library is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places.


The Albright Knox Art Gallery is home to a collection of art pieces spanning many centuries including the works of Paul Gaugin, Vincent Van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, Arshile Gorky and Andy Warhol.