The 1841 Goshen Courthouse
Located at the center of Goshen,
New York, along Main Street is the 1841
The building was designed in the Greek
Revival style of architecture by well-known
local architect Thornton Niven. It was meant
to be a replica of the one Niven had built
earlier in Newburgh.
During that time, Newburgh shared seat
duties with the larger city.
Before the construction of the Orange County
Government Center in 1970, the Goshen
Courthouse was used as a courthouse. In
1975, it was listed on the National Register
of Historic Places.
At present, it is being used to house the
Orange County Genealogical Society archives.
Settlement in the town of Goshen began
during the early 1700s, but the plains for
date back earlier to 1654. Goshen was
established in 1789. A portion of the town
was use to form a new town called
Hamptonburgh in 1830. Fifteen years later,
in 1845, a different part of Goshen was used
to make up the Town of Chester.
The locations and communities in the Town of
Goshen include the Old stone schoolhouse,
which is near the south town line,
Durlandville, which is a hamlet in the
southwestern part of Goshen,
Finnegans Corner, north of Florida and
Goshen Hills, located to the east of